Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Growing up on the farm (Teresa)

I grew up on a 2,000 acre farm in Southeast Madison County. I lived 16 miles from town. Our nearest neighbor was my uncle. My mom and dad raised chickens and beef cattle. Lisa and I had to work some on the farm. I thought I had to work a lot until I met Scotty, and I learned what real work was. My main job was to help mom around the house. When the chickens were little, I had to help my parents feed chickens by hand (which means a scoop and a wheelbarrow). We also had to water the chickens with a bucket. We also would pick up the dead chickens in the morning. Other than working in the chicken house, we had other jobs, such as bottle feeding calves, helping clean the house, mowing the lawn, or picking up rocks. I loved living on a farm. I loved being outside with my dad. I was his shadow. I love to go with him and check the cows and feed the turkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment